Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Kaixo in Singapore | Story of Bing

I?ve been raving about my friend, Issachar and his culinary delights. So it?s no surprise that one of the first places I visited when I returned to Singapore this time was to his brand new restaurant, Kaixo.

I?m thrilled for my dear friend that he finally has his own shop. It?s been his dream since forever, after being trained at Le Cordon Bleu and doing several stints with Michelin star restaurants/chefs. All our friends and I have been urging him to do this for as long as we can remember. I?m incredibly happy for him. EXCEPT that for the first time in the 20 years that I?ve eaten his food, I finally have to PAY for it. Shucks! Haha..

Here I was, watching Issachar prepare one of my favourite dishes in the kitchen ? the Sous Vide Organic Eggs In A Nest. I have lost count of the times I?ve stood in his kitchen watching him in this position, preparing something delicious for me and our friends to eat.

If you like runny eggs like I do, you will be slurping this up and asking for bread to mop up the last bits. The hubby and I loved this dish. A light broth goes on top first and then the egg broken to let the runny yolk ooze like lava on a plate. Yummm..

Kaixo is pronounced Kai-Sho and it means ?Hello? in the Basque language. I love that the first restaurant Issachar has decided to open is a tapas bar/restaurant, because now I have a fabulous centrally located place to hang out with friends when I am in Singapore and there?s yummilicous food and drinks to chill out on all night.

When I was in Barcelona in August, one of my favourite things to do was hop into a tapas bar by myself, slide on to a bar stool and pick out a few tapas (small dishes) to munch on while I savoured some old fashioned sangria. I usually drink red sangria, but the white sangria at Kaixo is absolutely delicious.

Try the Spanish Meatballs In Tomato Sauce that I had made at home last week, or some Braised Yellowfin Tuna in Tomato served in a quirky recycled fish can, or do what I frequently do ? grab a few modern pintxos (the Spanish version of the Italian bruschetta).

Braised Yellowfin Tuna in Tomato

?
Pintxo Platter. Shown here is the Valdeon blue cheese, dried apricots, figs and pine nuts. Super yum..

Kaixo sticks to traditional Basque fare for most of their dishes, but they also serve other European style dishes and have different specials every week. I loved the Roast Scallops and ate this dish twice over 2 consecutive days. And if you?ve ever lived in Europe or travelled there extensively, you?re going to find the Confit of Salt Cod very comforting.

Roast Scallops with Baby Leeks & a glass of Red Sangria

?
Confit of Salt Cod (traditional Bacaloa) in Pil Pil Sauce & a glass of White Sangria.

?

Not everyone is a tapas person because tapas is like Chinese dim sum. Meant to come in small plates and shared with friends. That?s why I like them so much. I can order heaps and not be left with a ton of food to myself. But if you are a big eater, simply order a main course version of the same dishes and Issachar will gladly serve a larger portion. Which is what my family do when we order their Sous Vide Tenderloin. Because it is so good, we don?t like to share it. Haha..

Here?s a final shot of me fooling around in Issachar?s kitchen, as always, asking a million questions about his equipment and cooking techniques. Be sure to catch him and say Hi if you eat at Kaixo. Issachar will tell you the stories behind his dishes and make everything sound even more delicious before you dig your fork into the food. =)


?

Kaixo is located at 96 Tanjong Pagar Road, Singapore. Tel: 6225 0545. It?s a few minutes walk from Tanjong Pagar MRT Station. They are open for lunch and dinner Mondays to Fridays, and just dinner on Saturdays.

My favourite dishes are the Sous Vide Eggs In A Nest, Sous Vide Grain-Fed Tenderloin With Roast Vegetables, Roast Scallops With Leeks and White Sangria. I also like the Pintxos to start off while waiting for the rest of the food to be served. A variety is prepared every day and displayed at the bar to be picked and devoured straight away.

?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Source: http://www.storyofbing.com/2012/12/kaixo-in-singapore/

torrey smith torrey smith oakland raiders Jessica Lange NFL scores week 3 kat dennings Steve Sabol

No comments:

Post a Comment